Until the advent of the National Health Service in 1948, London County Council ran, through its Asylums Committee, a number of asylums, including Colney Hatch, Hanwell, Banstead, Claybury and the Maudsley, as well as a pathological laboratory, based at Claybury from 1894 to 1914 and at the Maudsley from 1914 (prior to its opening as a civilian psychiatric hospital) onwards. The committee was known as the Asylums Committee from its establishment in 1889, as the Asylums and Mental Deficiency Committee after the Mental Deficiency Act 1913, and as the Mental Hospitals Committee from 1 August 1922 onwards. By the late 1930s, it appears to have been governed by the Council's Public Health Committee. The work of the pathological laboratory expanded during and after the First World War, and gained University of London teaching hospital status for the Maudsley in 1924. London County Council relinquished the management of the Maudsley in 1948, and in the same year the hospital's medical school was created an institute of the British Postgraduate Medical Federation, and renamed the Institute of Psychiatry.